Monday, March 31, 2014

Soccer Mom / Mountain Bike Racer / Wife of Real Mountain Bike Racer?

So I have 3 children, 2 girls ages 7 and 5, and a crazy little boy, age 3. The 7 year old just started playing soccer this year. Practices 2 days a week, games Saturdays.


 Also, as previously mentioned, I have a husband.  He works 12 hour shifts, including some night shifts and of course many weekends.  He also races mountain bikes, for real.  This is his 3rd year, he's on a real team ( Pedal Pushers), and he's doing a million races this summer (okay about 10 but that's still a ton). He usually finishes top 10-20% overall and he does the 50 to 100 mile ones and is even doing a six day stage race this summer.  He trains 10-14 hours a week.  Oh and I also work 40-50 hours a week, and generally lift weights twice a week.  So yeah, this is why I label myself busy.  Oh and 2 dogs, we also have 2 dogs one of which is diabetic requiring insulin shots twice a day.  I'm sure there are others busier than I am, and many just as busy.  I'm not complaining, just pointing out the delicate nature of figuring this all out.  And now I'm adding mountain bike racing on top.  Interesting.

Tying to find training time for me is difficult.  According to the training plans, Tuesdays are usually pedaling drills that I can do on a spin bike, or on a trainer.  Luckily we belong to a gym with daycare so that's how Tuesday happens.  I will ride during my "lunch break" at work on Thursdays.  Then I think I'm going to have to pay a babysitter to get in a ride on the weekends as Jeremy works the next few.

But I'm doing it.  I officially paid my money and registered for Battle the Bear (4/1 is the last day for early registration if you are interested).  No refunds.  Either I do it or I'm out the $50.  This brings me to my point.  The Appetizer (20 miles) starts at 1:30pm.  Jeremy has decided to do the Endurance (50 miles).  His race starts at 8am.  There's also a kids' race at 12pm that I'm sure both girls would love to do. They both lost training wheels last year.  And to top it all off the 7 year old has a soccer game at 9am and I have to bring snacks for the team, I forgot to respond to the email in a timely manner and that was the last day open.


So our day is going to looks something like this:
  • 6:00:   Husband up, getting ready to race, ride to park (it's close enough you don't have to drive).
  • 7:30:   Kids up, fed, get ready for soccer, make sure to remember snacks.
  • 8:30:   Get to soccer field
  • 10:00: Go home, get myself ready to race, load the kids' bikes, my bike, etc and drive to park, pay the $5 /car entry fee but I don't think we could all ride down and bring everything we need. The bike trailer for the boy won't fit on my mountain bike anyway.
  • 12:00: Kids race, Jeremy may be done by now, but probably not.  The top non-pro finisher last year finished in 3:51 (it was actually Jeremy's team captain, Nathan Collier, pretty cool Results).
  • 13:30: Jeremy better be done by now so he can take the kids as it's my turn to race.
  • 16:00: If I'm not done in 2.5 hours I'm going to be pretty disappointed.  That's 8mph.

Should be interesting. Hrm, I should remember to feed the children at some point too.

No comments:

Post a Comment